November 10, 2010

a day in the life - stephanie

Hello all.  For today's installment of 'a day in the life' I would like to introduce you to Stephanie.  You should know that Stephanie is a rock star, because I fail, and never let her know the date I wanted her to post until um, Monday (I'm going to go with my mom brain was involved with that one, I thought I had e-mailed her, but I hadn't).  She had a post ready by Tuesday evening.  Rock star.  Thanks Stephanie, I greatly appreciate it!

***

Hi there Domestic Wannabe readers!  I'm Stephanie of Confessions of a Trophy Wife and today I'll be sharing a typical day in my life.  I'm a stay-at-home-mom to a happy 8 1/2 month old little boy named Jack who has very quickly become the center of my world!  We belong to a playgroup and usually try to get out of the house to do something 1 or 2 days a week whether that be a play date with other friends, story time at the library, or a stroll in the local park!  The other days we spend keeping up with things around the house.  This was our Monday this week!


5.30am - Jack wakes up.  He typically sleeps through the night and has been for a long time, but lately he's been up a night or two during the week for a diaper change and a bottle.  I think his little tummy gets hungry!  I am a lucky lady because my husband usually takes the overnight feedings.  After a quick bottle and a fresh diaper Jack is back to sleep by 6am.
8.30am - Mommy gets up.  I usually wake up around 8-8.30am.  Jack's up for his first bottle during this time if he hasn't woken up overnight and while he goes back to sleep for a bit it's time for me to get up and get moving!  I fix myself some breakfast - today it was some baked oatmeal and coffee with Pumpkin Spice creamer - and sit down for a little bit of quiet time before the day really begins.  I check e-mail, Facebook, a message board that I'm on, and read through some blogs.  I make the bed, get dressed, let the dog out, and get the diaper bag packed because today we are going to Storytime at the library!
10am - Jack wakes up for the day.  He has a diaper change and a bottle.  We play for a little bit and then it's time to get him dressed and ready to go!


11am - We're out the door on our way to Storytime!  It's a half-hour class for babies from birth to 18-months-old.  He sits on my lap while we dance, sing, and listen to the librarian read two books.  Two of his friends and their moms also came to class today so afterwards we have some playtime.
12.30pm - We're back home from Storytime and it's time for another diaper change and bottle.  Then it's nap time for Jack and lunchtime for mommy!  Today I had some leftover soup and I spent some more time checking in on things online and catching a Dr. Phil show that I had DVR'd.  I also toss in a load of cloth diapers to wash while I have my hands free.
3pm - I hear a creature stirring!  Jack's up from his nap and it's time for his lunch!  I make all his purees ahead of time and freeze them in cubes.  Today, Jack had 3 cubes of applesauce mixed with a little bit of whole grain oatmeal.  He's hungry and downs it quickly and then is ready for his next bottle.  After he's finished with his lunch it's playtime!  I spread out his blanket on the floor and arrange all his toys.  He loves chewing on whatever he can get his hands on!  He also like to clink his wooden rings together and we're working on clapping.  He can clap, just not necessarily when prompted :)


5pm - Uh oh, I see some eye-rubbing!  Time for another diaper change and a nap.  Jack will usually go down for a shorter nap, usually just an hour or so, in the evenings to tide him over til bedtime.  He falls asleep shortly before my husband walks in the door from work.  I talk to hubby about our days for a bit and then get started on dinner.
 7pm - Eat dinner.  Tonight we are having Chipotle Cheddar Chicken Panini with Kettle Chips.  Jack is still sleeping, a bit later than usual.  We had better get him up!
7.30pm - Sleepyhead is awakened from his nap.  He gets a diaper change and then it's dinner time for him.  Tonight he's having 2 cubes of pumpkin puree and 2 cubes of sweet potatoes.  Sweet potatoes are his favorite!  After he eats it's time for a bottle and some play time with Daddy.
8.45pm - Jack's starting to get tired again so Daddy puts his nighttime diaper and warm, fleece PJs on him.  He finishes up the 2 ounces of bottle that he hadn't finished after dinner and then he gets a kiss from Mommy and Daddy and it's off to bed for the night!  Then it's TV time for my husband and I.  I stuff diapers and fold some laundry while we're catching up on some DVR'd shows.
10.30pm - My husband and I make our way to bed.  He finishes watching Monday Night Football while I read for a while then it's lights out and time to sleep!

Q & A with Ashley
1.  What is the most surprising thing to you about being a mother?
How much I enjoy it!  I honestly never get tired of the days I spend with my Little Man and I have yet to have a bored moment staying at home with him!  There's always something that needs to be done.
2.  What are some tips you would give to new moms, or soon to be mommas?
Hang in there!  The first few weeks are definitely the hardest!  Your baby WILL get on a regular schedule and they WILL start sleeping better!  Cherish the snuggly moments, hold them while they cry (because they will cry sometimes even if all their needs are tended to!), and trust your instincts!  Don't get all confused by what you read in baby books or hear from other people.  You will know what is right for your family and your baby!
3.  What are your top 3 baby products?
a.  The Boppy!  I attempted to breastfeed for 2 weeks and was unsuccessful, but this pillow made it so much more comfortable during that time when I felt like I had a baby attached to my boob 23 hours a day.  We have used it everyday since we brought Jack home from the hospital.  First to nurse, then to let him lay on or support him during tummy time, we used it to help him practice sitting up and we still place it behind him if we have to walk away while he's sitting on the floor playing with his toys because although he's a veteran sitter now he still has times when he gets excited and accidentally throws himself back.  This keeps him from bonking his head on the floor!
b.  Baby Swing!  He slept in this the first few months of his life.  For some reason he didn't like his bassinet, but he liked sleeping in the swing even if it wasn't on.  I think it had something to do with the fact that when he woke up and shifted around the swing had some motion to it and it kind of lulled him back to sleep.  Also, the seat was a little more cozy for a newborn than a big crib.
c.  Moby Wrap!  This saved my sanity!  At first, Jack didn't like to nap unless it was on me.  I was able to wrap him to me so that I could be hands free and mobile while he slept snuggled up against me.  It's perfect for a newborn because you wrap around you to fit so it'll keep them comfortable and supported.  I still use this frequently when we're out and about, but usually I have Jack on my chest facing out because he likes to see the world.  He loves to quietly ride along while I walk around and he just observes and kicks his feet wherever we go!

I hope everyone enjoyed a glimse into our lives!  Thanks for letting us stop by, Ashley!

 ***

Thank you so much Stephanie! 

1 comment:

Mark said...

Jack's daddy here. Small correction:

"I am a lucky lady because my husband always takes the overnight feedings."

Fixed!