June 15, 2011

a day in the life - katie

Hello Wednesday.  My you creeped up on me fast!  Anyway... Today I would like you to meet Katie.  I hope you enjoy reading about a day in her life!

***

Hi! I'm Katie and you can find me over at Keeping Up with The Crists- a blog I created for our far-away friends and family to keep up with the happenings of my two little ones- Jack Ryan (3 1/2) and Ella Grace (11 months). I am married to Jon,  a devastatingly handsome fire fighter that have been with for 16 years! Being married to a fire fighter has its perks - he works 10 days a month, stays home with our babies on his days off, and after another 15 years or so he'll have a nice pension. That being said the big downside would be the 24 hours he is gone (He works 24 on/48 off). This means I am a single parent for 1/3 of the year and while it's hard now, I know it's only going to get harder when J & E don't understand why dad can't be there for a game or recital. In addition to being a busy mom of two, I also work 40+ hours a week outside of the home as a Website Marketing Manager. I love my job, but it definitely has its moments of stress.


 

I thought I'd share with you a weekend day when the hubby is on shift- there much more fun and much less stressful than a weekday when the hubby is on shift.

8:38 a.m.- the first sounds of little ones waking for the day. This is not the norm! I can't believe they let me sleep in! I'm doing a happy dance in my bed right now. Usually they are up at 7:30! J comes in and has a list of requests- "Can I have some apple juice? What can I have for breakfast? I think E is awake. Mommy are you awake?" It's time to get this day rolling. E is stirring in her crib- laughing at something, which just makes me smile. I'm very blessed to have two babies who do nothing but smile when they wake up.

8:45 a.m.- 6 ounces of vitamin D milk for E and some apple juice and a banana for J. These kids are typically slow to eat in the morning and never want anything too heavy first thing. After breakfast it's time to get dressed and brush teeth. Next up is play time- this morning E plays with finger paints and J colors another Lightening McQueen picture (our fridge is adorned with them). I throw a load of laundry in and run the dishwasher.

10:15 a.m.- It's time for a "real" breakfast! Waffles are on the menu this morning. E and J both devour theirs and next up it's time to get ready for the splash park. We live just north of Dallas and summer is in full swing - we've been hovering in the upper 90s for a few weeks now. If the hubby were home, we'd head to the pool, but on my own, I only brave the splash park. Laundry goes in the dryer and another load goes in the wash (I am big on multi-tasking).


11:45 a.m.- Home from the splash park and now it's time for E's nap and J's lunch. E typically naps around 10 a.m. but since she slept until 8:40 this morning, there was no way that was happening. I'm pretty strict when it comes to naps and bedtime, but even I know, a girls got to be flexible. E has 5 oz of breast milk and is down for her nap. Now, it's time to fix J lunch. Peanut butter sandwiches, pretzel sticks and yogurt! I add jelly to my sandwich and sit with him for a nice chat. J has the greatest imagination of any kid I know- I just love our mommy/son conversations.

12:30 p.m.- E's still sleeping and J gets to watch an episode of Jake and the Never Land Pirates. I fold the two loads of laundry I 've washed this morning, clean out the fridge, unload the dishwasher and finish the cupcake toppers for E's upcoming 1st Birthday Party. J's show is over and it's nap time. I put him down for his nap and grab a quick shower.

1:15 p.m.- Both kids are still sleeping so I take advantage of the quiet and get to work on some chores. I really try not to clean while they are awake, so it's now or after they go to bed for the night. I clean the guest bath and vacuum. I also realize I need to write the grocery list for the week and get the coupons together.

2:30 p.m.- E's awake and hungry! It's time to fix her some lunch. Turkey, cheese and puffs- she is full an happy. J wakes up from his nap and we decide to go visit daddy at the fire station before heading to Target. We hang out at the fire house for about 45 minutes- Jack gets to play in the fire trucks and play with some of the guys Jon works with.

3:30 p.m.- It's time for our weekly trip to Target. I typically grocery shop on Saturdays, but yesterday was our anniversary and I just didn't want to go grocery shopping- call me crazy! After about 30 minutes in Target, J has to go potty and I try not to panic. There is no way on the planet to tell a 3 year old to "hold it"- thankfully we are close to the pharmacy where our Target has a bathroom and we avoid an accident.

4:15 p.m.- Back home and car is unloaded. J & E do their best to help put away our groceries. J is a great helper, E is more interested in the dog food than anything else.  Groceries get put away and its time for some play time. J brings out the puzzles and E entertains herself with her piggy bank. I am simply amazed how much more attentive she is than J is.

5:30 p.m.- Last load of laundry goes in the dryer and it's time for dinner. Chicken nuggets (Ian's organic from Target) tots and apples are for dinner. I clean up and get the kids in their pajamas. We hang out in E's room so I can clean out her drawers- it's time to say "so long" to the winter 9 month outfits and make room for the clothes to come for her first birthday. Between my mother in law, mom and aunts my kids are very well dressed.

7:00 p.m.- ABC Family is having a PIXAR marathon so I let J watch A Bugs Life in the family room while I have the NBA Finals game on in my room. E is rubbing her eyes- it's time to get ready for bed. She gets 6 ounces of warm vitamin D milk, we rock a bit and I lay her down. She plays for a minute and then is sound asleep. She typically goes to bed between 7:30 and 8 most nights. I clean up the dishes from dinner and any other dishes from the day. The last load of laundry is dry- clean sheets- it's time to make the bed. J loves making beds and helps me the best he can. I love that he wants to help- I am quite determined to raise a clean boy.

8:45 p.m.- J gives up on his movie- he is tired and wants to go to bed. We read Peter Pan and he is off to sleep in no time. Ahhhhh- what's that? Silence? While I love the sound of my children's voices and laughter- I also love the peace and quiet- a nice end to the day. I pour my self a glass of wine, melt some Swiss cheese on some triscuits and finish watching the game- MAVS WIN! MAVS WIN! A perfect end to a great series.

9:45 p.m.- I pack the bags for tomorrow and get all of the bottles poured for E. J & E are headed to Lala's (grandma's) tomorrow while I help Jon at a golf tournament honoring a fellow fire fighter who succumbed to cancer two years ago. It will be nice to be out of the office for the day.

11:00 p.m. - I crawl into bed for the night. It's time to pull out the Kindle for some light reading. It's my time to re-center myself and prepare for the busy week ahead.

Questions:
1. What is the most surprising thing about being a mom?
How much I am capable of. Nurturing two little people, working full-time while still managing to keep my marriage and my sanity afloat makes me feel like I can do anything.
2. What are some tips/advice you would give to new or soon-to-be mamas?

Listen to your "gut". There are a million books to read and a million people willing to offer you their tips and opinions- at the end of the day you have to listen to you. We were born to be mothers and that natural instinct will help you in any situation.
3. What are your top 3 baby products?
-A good breast pump- I stayed home with both my kids for 11 weeks and having a great breast pump allowed me to provide them with breast milk until they were 10 and 11 months old.
-Pacifiers- by kids never attached to a blanket or stuffed animal- a binky was their safety net.
-Baby Bjorn- I would hook J and E on and go about my day. It was great for when I needed to do chores, prep dinner or even get in a good work-out.

***

Thanks a bunch, Katie, for sharing your day with us!

1 comment:

Nikki said...

This comment is for Katie...I tried to comment on your blog but the kinks in blogger won't let me. You post was great and you're kids are adorable.