July 19, 2011

chocolate chip zucchini banana bread

Well, I'm going to go ahead and deem this recipe a success in our house.  Considering the fact that the loaf of bread was gone in just over 48 hours.  Whoops.  Obviously with my little healthy kick I'm looking for ways to incorporate more nutritional items in everything.  So zucchini bread seemed like a natural choice.  And I had bananas that I needed to use up.  And Chris said he wanted it to have chocolate chips (ok not so healthy, but whatever, it was good).  After searching several recipes for zucchini banana bread I finally found one that I was willing to try that Chris didn't refuse because of weird ingredients.

zucchinibananabread
err... really need to work on my food photography skills

I of course, undercooked my bread a touch.  I've been failing in the baking department lately.  I can't seem to get the timing just right.  Luckily most of the stuff turns out alright anyway.  I think the next I make this recipe, I might try using all whole wheat flour, and put in a little more zucchini.  You couldn't taste it at all, so why not push the limits right?  :o)

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
(adapted from Healthy Eating for Ordinary People)

Ingredients
3 very ripe bananas
2 eggs
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 heaping cup zucchini (1 small to medium), shredded
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup raisins

Directions
1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease a standard sized loaf pan.
2.  In a large mixing bowl, beat the banana for a minute or so till well mashed.  Add the eggs, honey, sugar, and vanilla and mix for another minute or so, until smooth.
3.  Add the baking soda, powder, salt and cinnamon.  Mix to combine and then add the flour.
4.  Stir in the zucchini, chocolate chips and raisins.
5.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake for a little under an hour (I did 50 minutes, should have gone 52-54) until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.  Cool for about 1/2 hour before turning the loaf out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Amy @ dwell in the season said...

Yum! I'm definitely going to try this soon, we have a ton of bananas in the freezer and our garden just started giving us zucchini! And I always put the mini chocolate chips in my pumpkin bread too. I mean, they say chocolate is healthy, right?

Carry Grace said...

This sounds really good!

Amy Nielson said...

ummm, YUM! this looks so freaking good :)

Vivian said...

This looks SOOOOOO delicious!!! I'm making it for sure!

Christa said...

Thanks, always looking for zuchinni recipes, it get out of control in my garden!

Anonymous said...

I've made this twice now - it's fabulous. My only change: instead of the 2 flours, I use 1 and 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour. Fast, easy, and delicious.