August 30, 2011

seventeen months

Yesterday I almost forgot that Ry Ry was seventeen months old.  It seriously seems like I just wrote her sixteen month post.  But as much as I try and pretend she isn't, she is indeed another month older.  Only seven months away from TWO!!

IMG_0175edited

We are still rockin' the 12-18 month clothing, but favorite little pair of denim shorts might only have a few more wears in them before they are too snug :o(.  I am getting incredibly excited for her little fall wardrobe we've starting building, so I guess I'll be ok if the weather starts to change and she gets just a tad bigger :o).  Ry is also still wearing her size four diapers, but we've had a few nights of leaking issues (just wet, no crazy nastiness or anything).  I don't know if that means the diapers are too small (they don't really seem like it) or if she doesn't need an entire cup of milk before bed...  Her toes are pushing the end of her pedipeds, so some shoe shopping will be happening in the near future.  Hooray!

Still no new teeth.  They were sprouting one right after another, and now we've gone what, three months without these last few?  I suppose that isn't a bad thing.  But really I'd just like to say we are done with teething (with this kiddo anyway!).  Ry's sleeping schedule is still pretty consistent, with her generally zonked out 8:15pm - 6:15am and 1:00pm - 3:30pm.  Occasionally I'll get a few days where she is up before 6, but they are happening less and less.  Usually it is when we stay at my parents house, and I think it is because she wakes up slightly disoriented, or it startles her when she realizes she isn't in her crib.

17monthsfindrock
oh mom.  you seem to have left a rock under this chalkboard.

As far as new developments in the motor skills department... Ry tries to run now.  I mean, I guess she does run.  But not super fast.  And sometimes her upper body goes faster than her feet so she wipes out a little.  But she has for sure progressed past just walking.  She can also throw a ball relatively well now.  Except she usually walks up to you, and throws the ball at point blank range as hard as she can.  Thankfully as hard as she can isn't too hard yet, but a few of our cat toy balls are pretty heavy, just asks Max if he likes taking one of those to the skull (not so much).

IMG_0192
when she rocks the shades she says 'oh yeah baby', love it. 

She is also pretty much a pro at buckling things, mostly her carseat (the plastic buckle part that goes across her chest) and booster seat.  That is nice and all, except she wants to do it all by herself all of the time.  And has decided it is pretty funny to just about get herself buckled in, and then pretend to mess it up and say "Oh drama queen" as she giggles to herself.  She has such a sense of humor!  Ha.  It's not funny after like the 10th time and you're standing outside in the bajillion degree heat just freaking wanting to go home!  :o)  Or when she really wants to buckle her stroller, but that one is still too hard for her, so a huge tantrum ensues in the middle of the park.  So fun.  But yeah, she can buckle.

IMG_0194
you'd think I would have learned my lesson after the last few months with the number sticker, but the idiot in me still thought it was a good idea to try a new sort of prop for her second year...

Let me preface this section with, again, all kids are different.  I have ZERO idea why my kid is a freak of nature (sorta) in the language department.  But she is.  Ryann knows an infinite number of words, if I say it, she'll repeat it (including stinky butt, but she'll tack on mommy, and say "mommy stinky butt" for five minutes straight.  hooray).  And be able to use it in context within a couple days, sometimes a couple minutes.  She is putting together 3-5 word sentences, such as "Daddy turn on water" or "Mommy wear gold ones" (referring to the necklace or beads she wants me to wear).  I can't remember what a five word sentence has been, but I remember counting one out and thinking dang!  She strung together five words!  When she is pointing out objects it has also become more of a sentence "that a Y, that a R," or "Mommy have a nose, have a mouth, have eyes".

IMG_0182
sometimes you just have to stop and stare at the sky 

Speaking of that, she is OBSESSED with pointing out eyes, noses and mouths on people and animals.  As well as other various body parts.  She will be playing with Simon (her stuffed monkey) and suddenly stop what she is doing to point out his eyes, nose and mouth, plus his belly, legs, hands, ears, and other random ones that I can't remember.  It fascinates her to find the same parts on different people and animals.

IMG_0235
sitting her on the bench didn't really improve the chalkboard situation much

I'm a little sad to say that her enunciation is getting a lot better.  Why would that make me sad?  Because Max isn't "Mac" anymore.  Grammy isn't "Mammy" anymore.  Lately I've been struggling with ok, do I talk to her in correct English (which is the obvious answer, and what I usually do) or do I use her 'words', so she'll keep saying her L's as Y's (lips = yips, lap = yap).  The one word I hope she doesn't start saying correctly anytime soon is Daddy (currently Dad-un).  I think that will be a sad sad day for Christopher.  There is something special about the way she says "Dad-un".

IMG_0186A

Lord help me, but I think my child can spell.  Or understands context really well or something.  I'm not sure how to explain it, but the other day I was telling Chris we should just put a handful of "c-e-r-e-a-l" in a container for a "s-n-a-c-k" while we were out, Ryann looked up at me and said "cereal?  have some cereal?"  I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped to the floor.  How the heck am I supposed to say anything without her understanding, if she picks up on my spelling????  AHHHHHH!!!  Maybe it was just a coincidence?

IMG_0150A

My little girly is still a relatively picky eater.  Ok a really picky eater.  (Typical toddler, I know.)  Fruit is still her favorite food group.  Well, that is a lie, I think if she could eat cake for every meal she would.  She has a huge sweet tooth just like her mama.  But thankfully she can generally settle for fruit, her favorites being blueberries, mangoes, plums, bananas, red grapes, and watermelon.  All other foods are hit and miss.  One day she will eat more pork tenderloin than I do, the next day she throws a huge hissy fit and won't touch it.  And almost everything (except fruit, cake and crackers) gets dipped in ketchup.  Oh well.  "Yo-gurk" and peanut butter toast are also pretty popular choices these days.  Peanut butter toast actually now trumps a waffle, whoa craziness.

We taught Ryann how to 'cheers' with her cup.  She has also learned how to play 'ring around the rosie' (but don't expect her to play with you or any other kids) so if you see my child spinning in circles singing to herself, that is probably what she is doing.  When she hears a noise, such as a train, a dog, birds, the refrigerator, she cups her little hand to her ear and says "Hear train?  Hear train."  We have no idea how she picked that one up, but I love it.  Her favorite books right now are Baby Bear Baby Bear (which she randomly recites... "Baby bear, baby bear, what you see?  I see... I see...), Panda Bear Panda Bear, Pajama Time and Princess of the Potty.  Oh yeah, I've half heartedly introduced the idea of potty training.  No worries, Ry is in charge for that one.  She is slightly interested in the potty, but only wants to sit on it for a few seconds at a time.  That is totally fine.

IMG_0209

Oh my little Ry Ry, you are becoming quite the little girl.  I love you to pieces!

7 comments:

Newlymeds said...

absolutely adorable!! those shades, love!

Kristin {Sea Cow Circus} said...

She's such a cutie, and so smart, too! Love this post.

Faith said...

she is so adorable ... she makes the best faces! and seriously if that wasn't a coincidence you have a genius in your hands!! :)

Gia said...

OMG. She is too freakin' cute.

Lindsay said...

Hi!
About the leaky diapers...same thing happened to Jacob. I switched him from size three to size four and the leaks stopped :)

Ryann is so CUTE! I love all the faces she makes...I read your blog every morning when I wake up and she never fails to make me smile!

Jill said...

How sweet! :)

I ditto what Lindsay said... C was having blow outs... 2 in one day. I went up a size in diapers and we were all good. No more problems. :)

Erin said...

This kid! She's so hilarious - I know I've said it before, but she just sounds so dang ENTERTAINING! Who needs TV when you can just watch her all day!!

Also, I love how non-braggy you are with respect to Ryann's mad skillz :)