October 14, 2011

carrot zucchini bars

As always, I'm trying to get Ryann to ingest some vegetables anyway possible.  So I'm resorting to more of a dessert.  Thankfully I don't think this is a too terrible for you dessert.

carrotzucchinibars

I modified this recipe a bit.  For starters, I left off the frosting (Chris of course said they were good, but would be better with frosting :o).  I also added some whole wheat flour.  And um, some chocolate chips.  Are you surprised?  It wasn't very many, some of the bars didn't end up with any at all.  I'm sure I could try subbing applesauce for the oil.  But I don't like to mess around with stuff too much when I first make it.  Personally?  I enjoyed these a lot.  Ryann did too.  Score.

Carrot Zucchini Bars
adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola oil
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
 Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, oil, honey and vanilla.  Don't worry about clumps of the brown sugar, those will dissolve as it sits while you prepare the remaining ingredients.  Then fold in the carrot, zucchini and walnuts.
  2. In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder, ginger and baking soda.  Whisk to blend together.
  3. Add flour mixture to the wet mixture.  Stir until just combined.  Spread batter into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
  4. Bake about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.  Cut into bars.
Enjoy!

3 comments:

Kalen said...

Thanks for posting! I'm gonna try these for Everly because she's starting to get picky now. :)

Carry Grace said...

Oh Yea! I'm going to have to make these for Henry. I have got to get some veggies in that boy.

(wreckedher) said...

Ideally you could substitute:
- 2 eggs with: 1/2 c. apple sauce & 1 tsp baking powder

and

- 1/2 c. oil with: 1 1/2 c. milled flax seed (plus add a bit of water as flax seed is a bit dry, supposed to increase liquid by 75%)