November 23, 2011

crock pot chili

Sorry, no day in the life today.  But you finally get my chili recipe, so its ok right?  Because I know you all have been dying to know how I make chili... ha ha... ok anyway...

crockpotchili

Christopher and I definitely like a hearty chili.  I don't want any soupy business going on, so I looked through a lot of recipes before I found one that looks just right.  It would be great if I could remember/find where I printed this from, but I totally forgot to bookmark it or pin it.  Oops...

Really, this stuff is so good.  We eat all the leftovers every time we make it, and it makes a LOT of chili.  Not to mention Ryann won't eat it (I'll give her some credit, she tried it!).  The original recipe called for pork and beans in molasses.  Of course I accidentally stocked up on pork and beans in tomato sauce.  To compensate I add some brown sugar to the mix.  Honestly I kind of like it that way, I add some while I'm cooking, and then you can add a little bit to your bowl if you want, allowing it to be as spicy or sweet as you want it.  Because we all know I hate spicy.

Crock Pot Chili
 Ingredients
  • 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 (14.4 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, mild
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef, browned and drained
  • 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
  • 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
  • 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
  • 2 bell peppers, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 med size can baked pork and beans with tomato sauce
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • salt to taste
  • brown sugar to taste (I used at least 1/4 cup)
 Directions
  1. Combine ingredients in slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours, or 4.5 to 6 hours on high.
I didn't specify the color of bell pepper, but thought I should mention the original recipe only calls for one green bell pepper.  I've always added two and just used whatever we've had on hand.  I prefer a green and a red!  The original recipe also didn't use tomatoes with green chilies.  Again, it is what I had on hand, and have just continued to make it that way.

I repeat, this makes a LOT!  Don't try and cook it in a little crock pot.  I believe we comfortably served 8 adults with it one night.

*I wanted to add that I have made this chili with ground turkey as well, and it turned out equally wonderful!

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Jeane said...

This looks and sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing. I have to try that out pretty soon :-)

Faith said...

oh yum! that looks good! i am still surprised that i have yet to make chili in my life. i hope to change that soon! thanks for the recipe!

(wreckedher) said...

I always sub out some ground beef (we use turkey) for sausage! adds a yummy flavor!

http://littlebitofamy.blogspot.com/