February 5, 2012

chocolate nutella smooches

Happy World Nutella Day!

So this post is coming about 14 hours later than I planned.  I completely meant to write it yesterday, but then I got distracted.  And then the KU game was on (I don't want to talk abou it).  And then today I've been here and there and everywhere and haven't had a minute to sit down and type this out.  I apologize.  But I'm sure you survived.

Anyway, to celebrate World Nutella Day, Ryann and I made some Chocolate Nutella Smooches yesterday, based off this recipe.  The flavor was great.  Ryann would have eaten every last bite of dough had I let her.  But they didn't cook incredibly well for me, and got kind of crispy.  I think my oven cooks too hot, and I should have taken them out earlier, or turned the temp down just a touch.  But they do look cute!  I figured it was a good cookie choice being February and all.

For fun and something different, I did try a batch with the raspberry hugs out right now.  They tasted wonderful, but the recipe called for putting the cookies back in the oven for a few minutes, and unfortunately the white tips of the kiss burnt a little bit.  Sad story.  I'm sure you could just bake the cookies and then stick with raspberry hugs on without putting them back in the oven, but I didn't try it.

nutellacookies

Chocolate Nutella Smooches
originally found on Just Cook Already 

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup Nutella
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sprinkles or colored sugar
  • 1 (9-ounce) package of dark chocolate candy kisses, unwrapped

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.
  3. In another bowl, place the Nutella, butter and both sugars.  Using a hand mixer, cream the ingredients together.
  4. Add the egg and vanilla and blend until incorporated.  Stir in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated.
  5. Shape the cookie dough into walnut-sized balls.  Roll the balls in the sprinkles, pressing to adhear.  Place the cookies on a heavy cookie sheet about 4 inches apart.  Bake for 6-7 minutes and remove the cookies from the oven.  Quickly place a chocolate kiss in the middle of each cookie.  Return the cookies to the oven and bake for another 2-3 minutes.  Cool the cookies on a wire rack.
 It was a LOT harder to get the sprinkles to stick to the cookies, as opposed to the sugar.  But again, I think they look incredibly cute.

Did anyone else use Nutella today?  If you made a Nutella recipe, feel free to link it up below.  :o) 

4 comments:

Sharstin said...

wow--yummers!

Amber said...

These look delicious!

Anonymous said...

The recipe calls for 12 cups of sugar. Is this a typo, or should it be 1/2 cup of sugar?

Ashley said...

Ah yes! Just a 1/2 cup of sugar. Not 12. Goodness that would be absurd. Thanks for catching that!