December 31, 2013

Christmas 2013

As we have done for as long as I can remember, we traveled to Omaha to be with my dad's side of the family for the holiday.  It has definitely become more complicated since we've added little ones to our family, traveling, staying in a hotel, it just doesn't feel quite like I think Christmas should.  But then again, I'm not sure if it would feel like Christmas if we weren't in Omaha so...

Please excuse the quality of the photos.  My skills have been lacking lately (as have my number of photos, sorry girls!), not to mention the lighting wasn't always the best.  But anyway...

IMG_7002 IMG_7010

Sorry Elsie, we just keep doing it to you, don't we...

IMG_7018 IMG_7028 IMG_7036 IMG_7043 IMG_7092

E decided to get comfy and pull herself up to the bar for a snack.  ;o)

IMG_7102

Our family does a 'dirty Santa' style gift exchange, with the whole going in order, being able to steal gifts thing.  It has pretty much become you either end up with alcohol, a nice blanket, or something from Pottery Barn (where my aunt works).  Chris and I scored pretty big in the alcohol department...

photo(79)

We kept the girls out pretty late (for them), by the time we were back at the hotel and had them in there pajamas and on their way to bed it was just after 10pm.  They both did good, but you could definitely tell it was WAY past their bedtime.

Ryann's first Christmas in the hotel was MISERABLE.  She slept horribly and we skipped out a night early because we just couldn't handle it.  I was expecting something similar from Elsie.  She woke up at midnight and I knew we were in for it.  But she surprised me, went back to sleep, and slept until 7:45am.  The next night she slept from 9:45pm - 7:30pm.  I was so thrilled that she slept so well in the hotel.  It made staying there a much better experience.

On Christmas day we all got up and had breakfast and then headed to m sister's room to open presents.  Six adults, two kids and a French bulldog all in one small space.  It was a tight fit, but we made it work.  In all honesty, I was a little disappointed with Christmas morning.  I had high hopes that Ryann would be super excited with her gifts, but she just, wasn't.  She was happy and got the two things she asked for (a Lalaloopsy doll and some My Little Ponys), but you could tell she was a little underwhelmed and that made me sad.  But in the end we were all happy and had a nice morning with the fam.

Oh, also?  On the way to Omaha I realized I had left the stocking stuffers at home.  I was pretty sad about that.  My mom had picked some up for Ry, but didn't have anything for Elsie.  So Chris made a last minute run to Target for a few things on Christmas Eve.  The extra annoying part?  I still haven't been able to find the stupid stocking stuffers.  I apparently hid them somewhere?  No idea.

IMG_7126 IMG_7135 IMG_7137 IMG_7172 IMG_7171 IMG_7183 IMG_7190

I hung out in the room with Elsie while she napped.  I'm honestly not sure what everyone else did.  Ha.  After she was up we just hung around and played with the new toy, and eventually all met back up in my sister's room for a little Chinese buffet lunch.  I guess that is kind of a Christmas tradition as well, seeing as they are the only food establishments usually open Christmas day.  We hung out a little more, got cleaned up, and then it was time for another nap for Elsie.  I tried to work on my computer but all the sudden couldn't keep my eyes open.  I passed out hard on the couch and took a nap too.

IMG_7204 IMG_7224_web

By the time I woke up it was 4:30pm and time to head to my other uncle's house for Christmas dinner.  I failed and didn't take any pictures at all.  But I had a great evening talking to my cousins, and Ryann had a blast playing with hers.  Elsie did pretty good as well, not screaming when people talked to her that is.  If anyone tried to hold her it was game over, but I'll take.  I think every one of us had a good time.

Currently our plan is to spend next Christmas in Kansas with my parents.  One part of me is excited, anxious to spend a Christmas in a home instead of a hotel.  Make some of our own traditions.  And the other part can't give up the thought of spending it with my large extended family in Omaha.  I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

1 comment:

marialerondon said...

Hi! Can I ask where did you get the customized pajamas? Happy new year!!!