January 6, 2014

it's time.

Time for me to cut the crap, and get back in the whole fitness game that is.  And bring back 'Move it Monday.'  I can't promise that it will be here every week, but I'll shoot hard for at least every other week.  I need all the motivational help and accountability that I can get!

I am making no promises to do anything amazing, but I do have some goals for the new year.  I've spent the last oh, I don't know, 20 months more or less devoting my body to Elsie, but 2014 is going to be my year.  Before I get in to that though, I want to revisit my fitness goals from 2013 and see how I did.

1.  Run 500+ miles.
It wound up being harder than I thought, but I did it!  I ended the year having ran 545 miles.

Screen shot 2014-01-03 at 6.39.24 AM

2.  Try a new group fitness class at the gym.
I ended up pausing my membership at the gym, so I guess I'll give myself a pass on this one.

3.  Run a half marathon.
Check.  It certainly wasn't my best or most rewarding half, but I did manage to train for and complete the Kansas City Half Marathon in October.

4.  Run a 'fun' race.
Boo!  I didn't do it.  And I'm always kicking myself when everyone starts posting pictures from whatever color run or glow run or who knows what run they did.

5.  Lose the baby weight by July 1st.
I've still got five pounds to go.  But I am proud to say that I maintained my 'only five pounds to go' weight since a couple months after E was born.  It would have been easy to give up on exercise and eat everything and sight (well, sometimes I did the latter) but I didn't.  I kept running, and nursing, some of those calories away.

6.  Go a week without added sugar.
I did manage to do this way back in April.  Over the last few months I've been hitting the sweets HARD again, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try and cut sugar out another time.

Well, I only truly managed 50% of my goals.  But hey, I feel like I accomplished the ones that truly mattered the most to me!  It would sure be nice to get rid of the rest of this baby weight though.  Which brings me to my goals for this year.

1.  Run 750 miles.
This sounds a little daunting, and also completely doable at the same time.  I hit over 500 miles only really running half the year, so surely a full year without being pregnant, and only nursing part of the year, I should be able to do it.  Just have to stay motivated!  If I could manage to get back to running with friends again I think that would really help.  Running by yourself all the time gets old.  I'm all for having a little alone time, but some days I could use a little push.

2.  Run two half marathons.
At least one in the spring and one in the fall.

3.  Run a 'fun' race.
Which one of my friends will sign-up for something with me and hold me to it?

4.  Get back to the gym.
And go at least three times a week.  For some reason I'm dragging my feet on getting back to the gym.  I know once I get back in the habit I'll love it, but, well, it isn't habit right now.  It still seems daunting to time it and make it work, but I foresee Elsie to be able to handle only one nap a day pretty well by the time she is 13 months, and that will make a world of difference on the timing front.

5.  Lose the baby weight by March 1st.
No more excuses.  The extra pounds have to go (and then another 5 would be awesome!).  And if the number won't budge I still want to see a certain pair of pants fit by then.

6.  Strength train once a week.
Ideally a strength class at the gym once a week.  My muscles are getting smaller and smaller.  Time to whip 'em back in to shape!

I've challenged myself to run at least one mile every day this month and also to go the first week of the year without any sweets.  So far so good, although I'm already so tempted to cheat on both fronts.  More so the no sweets gig.  Some of my friends are going the whole month, and, um, I just don't think I can do it!  Maybe, but I really really REALLY want to dig in to some chocolate.

 

How has the new year started off for you?  Have any goals?  Link up health and fitness related posts below!

7 comments:

Aspen Kelty Marie said...

I feel you. I used to work out from 4am - 7 am then took two weeks of for the holidays and just started back this past week and it is so much harder!

{Free Gym Membership Giveaway}

Home

Christina Bargholz said...

My post is from last week... but it had my goals!

I'd love to do a fun run! First I need to start running... Ha! Also, congratulations on nursing so long! My daughter will be 2 in March and she's started to wean.

Unknown said...

Count me in for a fun run with you :) Just not a half marathon yet! I've gotta work myself back up there. Also, today was my first day of no sweets because I failed miserably over the weekend...trying to go a month. Already dying for a cookie, or cake, or ice cream.

KellytheCulinarian said...

An ambitious year ahead!

WinterBenson said...

Good job getting some of your goals done! I thought making my goal of running a 5K this year was steep, 750 miles makes me a little ill to think about! But you did over 500 miles last year, you can do 750 for sure! Good luck!

aintnodramamama.blogspot.com

KatyD said...

You're doing great, Ashley! I would say 2013 was a very successful year in regards to your fitness goals! You had a baby and still ran more than 500 miles! That is amazing!

What is the app/webpage/program you used to keep track of all those miles?

Ashley said...

Thanks for all the encouragement ladies!

KatyD - I use dailymile.com. When I'm actually running I use iMapMyRun (or walk) to track the distance or just take a picture of the display on the treadmill, and then enter my miles later. Might not be the most effective set-up but it works for me! ;)